Monday, November 18, 2013

30 Days of Thankful ~ #18

Today, I am thankful for being alive. No, not in that flowery way, "Life is beautiful." "Each day is a gift." Blaa, blaa, blaa! I mean, I am truly thankful to be alive today. While on my morning run, I was almost hit by a car four times!! Two were within INCHES!!! To that young girl, driving the big truck, turning right from La Colina onto Newport, talking on her cell phone, I hope your heart didn't stop pounding hard all the way to school after I screamed at you to pay attention! You should have seen the look on your face!!
Here's the main problem as I see it. A runner is running on the opposite side of the flow of traffic (not with traffic, but facing oncoming) and this is the recommended side. When a driver comes to a stop and intends to turn right, they only look to see the cars coming at them on their left. Once they think that's clear, they proceed to make the turn and often, they turn right into a runner. It is a dangerous situation. I do think runners need to be hyper aware of this possible problem and do what they can to avoid it, but, drivers, please take some responsibility also. Look BOTH ways when making a turn. Maybe look twice. The life you save may be yours...or mine!

Today, I am thankful to be alive after running 6.5 miles and having a few "close calls".

2 comments: