Sunday, November 17, 2013

30 Days of Thankful ~ #17

Young people today have no idea how easy and accessible information is to them. I remember when my parent's bought us the World Book Encyclopedia. It costs hundreds and hundreds of dollars and it was amazing! So many important facts, alphabetized and put in volume after volume of books. Each year we'd even get the new one with things that had happened or changed in that year. Many reports were written for school using those books as my reference.
Today, we grab our phone and "google" for any information we may want or need. Sometimes, we are watching TV at night and will see some movie star and ask each other, "How old is______?" I grab my phone, always on the nightstand charging at night, and in seconds we can discover the answer. What used to take a long time, now takes seconds.
If I get a craving to make a certain thing for dinner, I just search for the recipe online and have multiple options in seconds. They even have a site where you plug in what's in your pantry and they will suggest recipes to make from those items.
Shopping was never so easy. Google an item and see where it's sold, for what price and how many are in stock. It can often be on your doorstep in 24 to 48 hours.
Lose the instruction manual to some device you have? Just Google and download a new one.
Oh, I know that with this availability of information, comes the bad side, but, I still say, it is a wondrous tool if used properly. I am a data person and it instantly satisfies my desire for information.
I am thankful for the modern world of Google and having information, literally, at my fingertips.


No comments:

Post a Comment