Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Good Day

What constitutes a good day for you? While I was running this afternoon, I thought about this question. Feeling happy to be outside, running six miles, I felt like I could say it was a good day. Isn't it funny how one, little thing can make or break your day? Rushing out the door later than you wanted to, can set a bad tone for the whole day. Someone you encounter in the day may say something unkind and it sticks with you, definitely souring your mood and the day. You spill your venti latte on your blouse and it leaves a stain. Now, none of these things are big; they are merely annoyances. Some we are able to shake off easily and some we don't.
Tomorrow, December 1st, is "Pay It Forward" Day. All it means is to do something kind for someone you encounter. A simple, random act of kindness can make all the difference in turning some one's day from bad to good. You may not know it changes their day, but who cares? Do it anyways. Now and then, I pay for the coffee of the person who is behind me in the Starbucks drive-thru. I love driving away knowing that in a few seconds they will find out that some stranger bought their coffee today. I smile for a long time afterwards thinking about it. Whether I made their day good or not, I sure made mine good. So simple and easy and yet so effective...for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment