Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Perceived Value






Take a look at these two pictures. One is of a load of lumber and the other is of a saucy dress advertised at Nordstrom. At first glance, it would appear they have nothing in common. Actually, they do have something in common ~ the price. The load of lumber cost $2000 and so does the dress. Now, I have never spent $2000 on one dress, but I think it seems like a lot more fun than the load of lumber. I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder. The lumber represents a small part of the ongoing project that will be the guest house in our backyard. There is no doubt that it will be standing long after the dress is out of style. What makes something worth its value? Perceived value is what one thinks something is worth and does not necessarily have anything to do with the actual value. We hold a higher value to what is important to us. In intangibles, some may say that trust is more valuable than respect, or kindness is more valuable than intelligence. Each of us defines it differently.
I have always told my children that you can take an small gift and wrap it beautifully and it becomes even more special to the receiver. The value is raised by its presentation. It means you took the time to make it special even before it is opened ~ perceived value. Which makes me wonder, couldn't they, at least, have wrapped the lumber in a pretty, red bow??
I am grateful for lumber.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog. I get it and it's meaningful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What if I don't need any lumber? What if I need a dress a really nice dress? I guess it all depends on what your budget lends and what your real needs are. I would never purchase a 2,000 dress if I did not have the money to do so. I have been on both sides of the fence so I get both. I don't get those that can't afford it and do it anyhow. Credit cards do not constitute affordability. Everyone wants it all and all is just for everyone:)

    ReplyDelete