Monday, November 8, 2010

Perspective

This sign has been hanging outside our house for the last ten Thanksgivings. It always makes me laugh when I put it out. It also makes me pause to realize that any situation, even that of the turkey, has two perspectives. We are all excited and anticipating the feast we will be enjoying in a few weeks, whereas, if the turkey could talk, he'd probably be showing a great deal less enthusiasm for November 25th. Same day, same event, much different feelings.
This holds true for so much of life and how we see it. One man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. Sometimes seeing the good can feel like looking through a thick, foggy morning. We know it must be there, we just can't quite see it. I read the other day that we live in "a culture of complaint". Doesn't that sound awful?? I know I am guilty myself of seeing the dust on the counter rather than the rose in the vase.
As we begin this holiday season, I promise myself to complain a little less and enjoy a little more. If some days I fail, I will try again the next day.
I am thankful I am not a turkey!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! So true......Thanks for that! I would love to be someone who always finds the good no matter what. I appreciate the perspective!

    ReplyDelete