Sunday, November 21, 2010

Holiday Project




A while back, my girlfriend said she saw these cool garlands at a boutique. They were made from a strand of lights and fabric. I never saw it, but from her description, I decided to try and create one. It was difficult to get a good photo depicting how it turned out. Hopefully, you get the idea. I started with a 9 foot strand of lites that I bought from Lowe's for $1.88! I then bought 1/3 of a yard of 4 different fabrics, all on sale at Joann's. You could make this any way you wanted with either patterned or solid color fabrics. I cut a tiny bit of fabric about 1" in width then ripped it from that point as I wanted a "shabby chic" look to the garland. There are probably many ways to tie or knot the fabric around the lite stand. You should experiment with what you like best. I was worried that I would run out of fabric and it came close. After experimenting, I found that you make 7 or 8 fabric ties between each light. You can figure out from there how much fabric you will need. The light strands come in many different lengths. Again, you can pick what will work best for where you plan to display it.
These can be made for any holiday or even, just to match some one's decor. I told a friend about it and she decided to make one for a baby shower as she thought it would act as a night light in the room as well as a decoration.
It was the perfect project for a cold, windy, rainy afternoon. It didn't take very long and it was easy and fun.
P.S. These sold for $25 - $30 at the boutique and my total cost was about $8!!

No comments:

Post a Comment