Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hot/Cold

My crazy sense of humor loves this silly cartoon. Hopefully, you can read the title of the book, which is "How to Turn Up the Heat in Your Marriage". It was two snowmen, but the result of their efforts must of worked, because they are no longer!
I have been married a long time ~ 35 years to be exact and this is not a blog about sex. It is a blog about long term relationships and how they run hot and cold. You can't live with someone for many decades without differences of opinions, disagreements and downright arguments. People who say they never fight with their spouse make me nervous. I wonder what else they lie about!
It is amazing to me that one day, I can look across the dining room table at my husband and be filled with so much love for him, while another day, I look across the same table at the same man and wonder how I do not strangle him. He, of course, says he is always the same and it is me who changes from one day tot he next. If I didn't know better, I might think that were a veiled comment pointing the finger at female hormones! One friend I have actually stated it like this: "In the course of any given month, one week I absolutely adore and love my husband, another week he is still a good guy, the third week he irritates me constantly, and the fourth week, I could kill him." I think she is speaking, once again, about the cycle of women. Does this make us sound like complete slaves to our hormones? I would like to think we are smarter and more in control than that, but maybe not.
Over the course of time, relationships get out of balance and sometimes, even, get lost. People often throw in the towel at these times and declare it unfixable ~ irreconcilable differences say the divorce papers. It suddenly seems easier to start over rather than fix what you already have. For me, even on the worst of days, I can still, faintly recall the good days and can't help but wonder if there might still be a few more. Besides, I'm no quitter and I'm not done torturing him yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment