Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Tree

Each year, the tree is one of the last decorating tasks I do. By then, I have been decorating the house for a couple of days and I am getting tired. Starting the tree always feels daunting and yet, once I begin taking out each ornament, I get excited all over again. They may seem like dozens of ornaments to someone else, but to me they are dozens of memories. Each reminds me of a trip we took, a place we visited, a friend who gave it to me or my child that made it for me. They are a hodge podge of styles and yet they all blend perfectly on the tree to represent who we are and what matters to our family. I marvel at people who have "department store" perfect trees where everything matches. They are lovely to look at and yet, they have no place in my house. We are a rag tag bunch of people, sometimes classy and sometimes messy. Things break in our lives and we glue them back together as best we can. Sometimes the break is so bad, there is no hiding the attempt at fixing it. We still keep it, though. We have hope ~ for ourselves and each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment