Monday, December 6, 2010

How's Your Day?

While at Joann's Store today, I asked the clerk, "How are you?". She stopped ringing up my purchase, stared at me and said, "I can't remember the last time a customer asked me that question! Thanks for asking." I was somewhat surprised by her reaction, but I really shouldn't be. Courtesy and interacting with people face-to-face are becoming things of the past. I watch
people in at the grocery store talk on their cell phones the entire time the clerk rings up their purchases. Never once do they speak to them and off they go, some still chatting on the phone. My simple question seemed to make the lady's day. She got a smile on her face and wished me Happy Holidays. Maybe her good mood continued for a few more customers after me. I wonder if the other customers even noticed? A little kindness can go a long way. We can make a difference in this bleak world, one "How's your day?" at a time. Of course, you have to be willing to listen to the reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment