Friday, December 24, 2010

Instant!

I like to consider myself a modern grammie ~ I email, I Skype, I text. However, sometimes I question if all of it is making our world better or worse. Maybe it is making kids today only satisfied with instant gratification. Asking them to write a thank you note seems silly to them when they can email their thanks. INSTANT! Teaching them to cook a meal is too much work when Costco has ready-made meals you just pop in the microwave. INSTANT! When they are bored, instead of begging mom or dad to take them to the store to buy a new game, they simply download the app on their device and there it is. INSTANT!
This is all well and good, but some things take time and patience. Where do they learn this lesson? As modern as I claim to be, I hope I am the one who is also showing my grand children that waiting also has value. Waiting helps us to see a bigger picture. It helps us get outside ourselves and realize that we are only part of the world and not the center of the universe. Waiting for something can make attaining it all the more satisfying. It's not an easy lesson, but a necessary one for us to learn.
Tonight, we wait for Santa and his reindeer. We have discussed his arrival for weeks. We have debated how he flies, how he gets to every house and more. The wait will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment