Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas Changes

Christmas has always been a BIG deal at our house. Everyone received many, many gifts, both big and small. This year, however, I decided to take a step back from the over consumption and get some perspective. I told my two kids we would buy them one, big, hopefully, practical thing and that was it. I asked most of my friends not to exchange gifts this year. My husband and I are not buying each other anything. We want a new, really good mattress and that's what we are doing instead.
It has a little to do with the money, but more to do with the realization that we have too much, or, at the very least, we have enough. We don't need any more things to dust. I want to spend time with the people I care about more than spend money on them. I want to go out to a nice dinner and laugh and talk and make more memories. I want to go on vacations and see and do things together that, again, will create memories.
Toys get lost or broken and clothes are outgrown. What once seemed so important to have, loses its lustre far too fast. I will not be on this earth forever. I hope and pray they measure my love for them, not in presents given, but in time spent and memories made. Now that sounds like a good Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment