Saturday, February 27, 2010

Son-in-Law

I have always said, when it comes to your kids you cannot write the script for them. Never has this been more true as when they get married. The one you love (daughter) chooses the one she loves, and the rest is up to you and that person. For me, I got really lucky and/or blessed with my son-in-law.
He and I see eye to eye on many things. Our parenting styles are very similar. We are the ones who "run a tight ship", while my daughter and my husband tend to let the "monkeys run the zoo" as I say. We became running buddies last year and I think that activity and shared interest cemented our already tight bond. He loves that I cook as his wife detests cooking. He never fails to say thank you for dinner. We bounce business ideas off each other and really listen to the other's suggestions. We both appreciate a raunchy joke, especially when it annoys Amber, which makes it all the more fun for us! That being said, it is not always rosy. I probably butt in more than I should because we are around so much. Plant my son-in-law in front of a TV, especially with a sporting event on, and I am pretty sure he wouldn't notice if the house was on fire! Sometimes you have to remind him many times over to take care of something. We are all human with our strengths as well as our weaknesses. The trick is to appreciate the strengths and overlook some of the weaknesses. Acceptance is really a gift. Sean & I accept each other. We didn't actually pick each other, but we share a common love for someone dear to us. Now, years later, we share that love with three other little creatures as well.
Out of all the things we talk about, I don't think I tell him that I appreciate how much he loves his wife and children. Well, I do, and I am thankful he is in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment