Wednesday, February 10, 2010

LOL and More

It appears our society is getting abbreviated these days. With the advent of emails and texting, we seem to be shortening everything. I have a hard time keeping up with all of this and often have to ask my daughter what the letters mean that someone has sent me.
One of the first was LOL. My son-in-law tells a funny story of his former boss (in my age group) that thanked his assistant in front of everyone for ending every email to him with "Lots of Love"!! The room fell silent and then everyone burst out laughing when they had to explain to him that she was writing Laughing Out Loud!! He had no idea!
ROTFLMAO - a friend sent that to me in an email a while back and I had no idea what it meant. Amber had to enlighten me that it was "Rolling on the floor, laughing my a** off!" Seriously, who thinks these things up and when do they become so mainstream that everybody knows what they mean??
In "the old days" we wrote SWAT on the outside of an envelope before we mailed it. Yes, yes, I said envelope and mail!!! I mean with real paper and a real stamp! Anyways, the SWAT stood for Sealed with a Kiss. You haven't seen that one in a while, have you?
I am a wordy person, rarely saying something quickly. I tend to go on and on. These abbreviations are not the way my head thinks. The one that really annoys me is when I get a text that is just "K". Come on!! You can't even write OK?!?!! Are we that busy or lazy or what?
I was watching a TV show last week when one of the characters said MFEO....Made For Each Other. That was the 1st time I had ever heard that one. It has stuck in my head ever since.
I am trying to embrace all the new technology, but sometimes it is difficult. If you send me a message and it takes me a while to figure out what you mean, please be patient with me. K?

1 comment: