Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Three Beauties

I was lucky enough to become a grandmother at a fairly young age, 50. These perfect and beautiful creatures are Maddy (5), Jack (3) & Abbey (2). They have brought a layer of joy to my life that I really don't think you find unless you get to be a grandparent. We love our spouses. We love our children, but, oh my, we LOVE our grandchildren! Children are the rainbow, but grandchildren are the pot of gold!
We have the good fortune to live close by and see them nearly every day. The kids don't know it any other way. They get upset if a day or two goes by and they haven't seen us. "Where's Pa? Where's Grammie", they ask. We are an integral part of their daily lives as they are ours. I think it is especially wonderful because my husband and I are both in good health and can keep up with them. We run and swing and play with them. We are not afraid to be silly with them and we laugh a lot. I know this will change as time goes on. Sooner than we think, their world will expand and friends and activities will take them away from us; not permanently, but more and more often. It is supposed to happen like this, I know, but the thought still makes me ache a little. Eventually, I will become their sweet, old, uncool grammie. Their mother will probably have to force them to call me on the phone and say hello. Sniff!
Well, I intend to be the cool grammie as long as I can. I will love them when their parents don't. I will stand by them when they think nobody else in the world will. I will believe they are the best and the brightest shining stars in the darkest sky. I will remind them that they are beautiful and special until my dying breath.

"My grandmother is over 80 and still doesn't need glasses. She drinks right out of the bottle."
Now that's a cool grammie!

No comments:

Post a Comment