Friday, February 5, 2010

Books

I love to read and my house is being overrun by books. They are everywhere! I have my Barnes & Noble membership card and I buy books every month. I always order at least $25 so I get the free shipping. I watch for coupons online and always try to save a little (retailmenot.com & couponcabin.com are great sites for ALL types of discounts codes!) Still, I spend a lot of money on books. I can't even explain the pure joy that reading a good book gives me. I have read books that kept me so enthralled, I forgot to make dinner. I have read books that made me so sad when they were over and there was no more to discover about the characters I nearly cried. I have read books that challenged things I thought I believed and forced me to look at another point of view. Yes, these are powerful things, these books!
I read an article last night about saving money this year ( a recurring theme for 2010 and these challenging times we live in) and it suggested that you go to the library instead of buying a book. I wonder why this doesn't appeal to me more. After all, I do like to save money where I can. We have a beautiful new library in Tustin and I have yet to go inside. Somehow that box left on the front porch by UPS with the Barnes & Noble return address on it, gives me such a thrill. I don't want to borrow these books, I want to own them. I want them to be in many rooms of my house. They are like friends. Who wants to "borrow" a friend? You find a person, learn things about them, claim them as your friend. Who wants to give them back?!?! I guess I will just continue to have to find spots to stack them and keep them. Sometimes I pull them out and reread them. Sometimes I lend them to people I think will enjoy them. After all, friends are for sharing.

"I find television to be very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book."

No comments:

Post a Comment