Thursday, February 18, 2010

Too Much Stuff

I looked around my house this week and decided I have TOO MUCH STUFF! When is it enough? Now, don't get me wrong, I love nice things. My husband and I have worked hard to buy the lovely things we have. I am very attached to some of my "stuff". We joke that we can't downsize and move because where would I keep all my holiday decorations alone?! I don't mean just Christmas; I decorate for EVERY holiday and have bins labeled and filled for each holiday.
I recall one Christmas, years ago, when I declared I only wanted gifts that did not need to be dusted! It was one of the best Christmases ever! I received gift cards to restaurants, bottles of wine, spa gift certificates, bubble bath, etc. Nothing to dust!!
Tonight, I am going to a play with my dearest friend because last Christmas we decided that neither of us needed any more "stuff" so we gave each other tickets to two plays this year. Having an experience, especially together, is a much better than more "stuff". Creating memories is the "stuff" I want as I get older. BBQing on Sunday nights with my son-in-law, getting my toes done with my daughter, meaningful conversation over a cup of coffee with a friend, these are the "stuff" I want. I am planning on giving my friends great gifts this year...and nothing to dust!

1 comment: