Sunday, January 31, 2010

Gas = Love?

A funny thing happened today. While out for lunch with our son and his significant other, Emily, we stopped for gas. I hopped out and put the credit card in the machine and then got back in the car while Mark pumped the gas. Emily asked me how long we had been married and I told her it will be 35 years this summer. "And he still pumps your gas!!!", she marveled. Hmmmm, I have never really thought about this, but yes, after all these years, he always pumps my gas for me.

It got me thinking about how people show their love. Hollywood would like us to believe it is grand gestures like a room filled with flowers, trips to exotic places, words shouted for all the world to hear. That is not reality for too many of us. Most of us are shown we are loved in simple ways that often might get overlooked. I haven't given any thought to Mark filling my gas tank until today when it was pointed out to me. He does it to show, in his quiet way, that he loves me and wants to take care of me. If I give it some thought, I realize he does many, small things like this all the time for me. I just need to open my eyes and notice....and enjoy it!

1 comment: