Saturday, January 16, 2010

Blondes Tease...Redheads Please


As most of you know, I am a natural redhead. HA! HA! Actually, I like to joke that my husband has been with me through three hair colors! When we met in high school, I was a bleach blonde. My senior picture shows me with hair that is REALLY blonde.
Eventually, I got sick of the constant roots and decided to go back to my own boring brown color. I did it myself and it came out more grayish brown than brown brown. When the roots were about an inch or two grown out, I chopped it all off and let it grow in my natural color. What a process!
About 20 years ago, someone said to me, you'd look good as a redhead. Hmmm, I thought. Now that would be interesting for a change. I started slowly and just gave it a tinge of red over the brown. It got complements, fed the addiction, and a redhead was born. The red has gotten much more distinct over the years and often still gets comments. I met a new doctor for the first time and after we discussed my health she said, "Your hair color really suits your personality." Whatever did she mean?!
Red is a tough color to keep up. It fades as the month wears on and it has become a monthly bill. I sit in my hair dresser's chair every four weeks, without fail. I say it's because of the fading, but the strangest thing has happened. Where those roots were boring brown, they are now an ever increasing gray!! Right before I get it colored, I sometimes show my daughter these roots. She is appalled and makes me swear to never stop coloring it. She even promises she will have it colored every month when I am in a rest home. Gosh, that girl loves me!!!

1 comment: