Monday, January 25, 2010

Girlfriends

I think that the importance of friends, especially girlfriends, cannot ever be overrated. Women seem to be able to foster close relationships with other women that sustain them in many ways that their relationship with the husband or boyfriend cannot. I think part of it is because sometimes, when women have difficulties in their life and discuss it with a man, the man wants to "solve the problem". Whereas, another woman will let you talk about it, dissect it, talk about it some more and often only offer a listening ear and a hug. Other women realize that the goal is not necessarily to solve the problem, but just to dwell, for a while, on your feelings about the situation. Sometimes this feels better than finding a solution and this is rather foreign to a man.
This is one of the reasons I feel, no matter how good your marriage or relationship is, never give up your girlfriends for a man. Often, young women have not learned this lesson and lose some dear girlfriends in the process. We, shall we say, more mature women, have come to realize the importance of making time for our girlfriends. They hold a place in our heart that no one else can.
"I value the friend who for me finds time on her calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult her calendar."

No comments:

Post a Comment