Sunday, January 24, 2010

To Every Thing There is a Season...

This week, two things happened. Mark's uncle died and a friend had a baby. Now, I know, these two things happen all the time in the world, but it gave me pause to think about how quickly things change.
Mark's uncle was old and had been very ill for a long time. I think we call this passing a blessing on some levels. It still leaves a hole in the heart of many in his family who loved him and remember the vibrant man he once was. He may be gone, but the memories people have of him still remain. May they find comfort in that fact.
Then along comes a new baby. His new life is a book of blank pages for now. First, his parents will write parts of it for and with him and then, eventually, he will write the book himself. I think this is the hardest part of parenting; you can't write the book for them and you really want to do this. You want to spare them the hurts and disappointments that come with living. You want them to grow up to be happy, productive citizens. You want them to learn from your mistakes. After all, you are doing it "for their own good"; repeated words by too many parents to even count!
The latest "chapter" in my book involves my grandchildren. I watch their growth. I see their parent's frustration when they don't behave as they'd like them to behave. I feel my daughter's concern and worry for them like it were my own. I still want to write her book and make it all better. Silly me, I know, but loving someone is a pretty silly thing. Silly or not, I'm going to keep on doing it!

1 comment: