Thursday, January 14, 2010

Simple Pleasures

We all have simple pleasures that make us happy. One of mine is reading the newspaper in the morning over a cup of coffee. Oh, I know, newspapers are for us dinosaurs. This generation gets their news online, as it happens. You can read any newspaper from any where in the world on your computer screen. I read the MSN news feeds all day as well, but there is nothing that compares to the paper in the morning. See, that's part of it. I have to read it early in the morning, by myself. The news is "fresh" in the morning. I can't imagine reading it at night after work. Then it has become "old" news.
I know which day has the food section, which has the movie reviews, etc. As I walk out my front door and see that little bundle waiting for me on the sidewalk, it's almost a gift. It holds the promise of interesting things, knowledge and more. Over the last year, the Monday & Tuesday papers are so thin and paltry, I imagine they could fly away from lack of weight; cost cutting measures to save a dying patient. I can only hope they find a way to keep resuscitating it so this old dinosaur can keep her simple, morning pleasure.

1 comment: