Sunday, May 15, 2011

Like Buttah

QUESTION: When a recipe calls for softened butter, what exact consistency should it be? I am impatient and want to cook. If I forget to leave it out on the counter, can I zap it a few seconds in the microwave?

ANSWER: Softened butter should just yield when you press it with your finger but should feel cool to the touch. It's important to achieve the right level of firmness, especially for baking - if the butter is too soft, you might end up with cookies that are too flat or oddly shaped. If it's too hard, it won't mix properly with the sugar, leaving you with a tougher cake. It's best not to soften butter in the microwave, because doing so can cause it to melt. Even if it melts in only a few spots, it will never reach the same consistency again. If you forget (or are impatient, like me!) to let the butter soften, cut it into pieces and leave it on the counter. It will soon be ready to use.

1 comment:

  1. oh I have always wondered and I usually zap it in the microwave...stroke of pure genius thank you!

    ReplyDelete