Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Drop Cloth Magic


Got an idea that I thought was worth sharing. This weekend, as far as our household is concerned, is the start of the summer season. I have been hunting for cute outdoor tablecloths to use for our many get-togethers and haven't really found any I like. Much of the themes for summer revolve around the good ol' red, white and blue, but sometimes you just want to celebrate lazy, long summer days with other colors as well.
I went to Home Depot and bought simple painter's drop cloths. The size I chose was about $8.00 and will easily fit the six foot tables we have out back. There are many types of drop cloths, but I chose the burlap-looking, canvas types. They are a perfect, neutral background upon which to decorate any table.
The package looks like this.
Opened, you can see they fit nicely on the table. They are thick and washable. I washed mine before their first use to make them a little softer. Now comes the fun, ever changing part.
You can use anything to decorate your table. I bought foam stars just to give you an example. I will be adding a red, white and blue flower arrangement and flags for the Memorial Day party. For another time, I also have plastic, black ants ~ perfect for a picnic theme, don't you think?
I will even use these drop cloths on the outdoor dining table with candles and sunflowers. The possibilities are endless! Use your imagination. You have extra money to buy "props" because the drop cloths are so inexpensive.
Now, my only problem is making sure my husband doesn't grab them for a job site!!

2 comments:

  1. You could by some craft paint and have your sweet grandkids make a fun summer table cloth. Could be messy but...fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the grandkids and paint idea!! Who cares about mess! It comes with the territory! :)

    ReplyDelete