Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring

"No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow."
The time change has me thinking about longer days, spring followed by summer, etc. However, I think this quote speaks more to an outlook on life than the seasons. Are you more of a pessimist or an optimist? Do you think mostly good will happen or are you constantly waiting for the next bad thing to occur in your life?
Most people seem to lean one way or the other. That's not to say that it is all good or all bad. As I have said before, life is messy, but it also has some pretty great parts too. Can our outlook change the amount of good or bad we receive in our life? Probably not, and I don't think that is the point. I just finished an article in one of my running magazines and the topic was, "Act as if...". Act as if you will finish the race. Act as if you will win. Act as if you can keep going when it seems you cannot. Is this lying to yourself or is this positive imagery? Call it what you will, what if it works, or at the very least, helps us get through life's challenges? I have often given out a much more positive vibe than I have felt with clients. After all, I am in sales. I have to "act as if.." when I don't always feel it. This is really tough in a down economy and, yet, more necessary now than ever. People get plenty of doom and gloom by turning on the TV or reading the newspaper. I can't turn the economy around, but I can offer them a little sunshine and springtime. I just need to remember to save a little for myself and my family!

1 comment: