Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Compliments

I am a great giver. I am a lousy receiver. I would rather give the party than be the guest. I would rather give the gift than receive one. I would rather give the compliment than receive one. My family accuses me of ruining every compliment they have ever tried to give me. They are probably right. Where a gracious "Thank You" is enough of a response, I tend to tear apart what they've just said and therefore ruin the spirit in which it was given. I spoil the gift they just gave me because, for some reason, I don't feel worthy of receiving it.
Deflecting a compliment is like returning a gift and you wouldn't return a gift to the sender, would you? Why do I feel that is okay to do with a compliment? From now on, I am going to strive to both give AND receive compliments graciously. So, for any of you readers out there, if you want to leave a comment (compliment), I will practice on you. For taking the time to read the things I reflect upon and write, I graciously say THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Do you promise?!!! :) Love this and Love YOU!!!

    Mama A

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have an awesome blog that is so real and fun to relate to. I love it!

    On a side note, a dear friend who also has a hard time with compliments had someone say to her, "Thank you, I receive that!" when she had a hard time accepting the compliment and I smile when she says that now.

    ReplyDelete