Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Directions VS Scenery

I read a book once where the woman said she was so busy looking at the map, she forgot to look out the window. I think I am also guilty of this statement.
If you ask my family, I am the cruise director, planner and "boss lady" for most of our events. I don't just mean vacations or outings, but day-to-day planning like meals, shopping, etc. Most of the time, I enjoy this role; I self-created it. Being in control is where I like to be and, for the most part, my family just lets me go and do my thing. After all this time, they reason it is easier to just go along with the way I have planned things than to challenge me. For the most part, my organization and skills as "boss lady" means the others can relax and go with the flow. They get to spend a lot of time looking out the window while I read the map. As I said, I enjoy the role, for the most part. But occasionally, I would like to put down the map and look out the window also. What prevents me from doing this? Not my family, that's for sure. They tell me the only reason they defer to my plans is that I seem to need to make them. They say they really don't care. They say that things will probably work out fine even if I don't make the elaborate plans. I can feel my palms get sweaty just hearing them say these words! Can they possibly be right? I fear finding out and yet, at times, I am weary from being the "boss lady". I feel out of answers and ideas. I am tired. I want to stop looking at the map all the time and look out the window a little more. I just can't figure out how to refold this darn map!

1 comment: