Sunday, March 21, 2010

Just Do It

"Runners just do it ~ they run for the finish line even if someone else has reached it first."
Today marks the first time that I have rerun a 5K race that I did before. In fact, the Newport Beach Spirit Run was the first 5K Sean and I ever ran when we started training last year. I am proud to say I came in 3rd in my age division with a respectable time of 30:26. It is the second best time I have ever run in all ten of the races I've entered. When they posted the results, I can't lie, I was SO excited! I waited around an extra half hour just to collect my silly third place medal. All the way home, I kept saying to my husband, "I finished third!!" I could tell he was really proud of me and it meant so much. I mean, after 35+ years together, there may seem like there are not many surprises left, but I could tell he was really proud of me. I have never been an athlete, never cared that I wasn't, but here I am doing something totally new and out of my comfort zone. Not only am I doing it, but I am achieving a measure of personal success at it as well.
I don't write about this to impress you, the reader. I write about it in the hopes that I may inspire you to try something you never thought you'd do, something out of your comfort zone. It need not be running; only you can decide what it should be. The point is, it can be ANYTHING you set your mind to do. We humans can adapt, change and grow if we take it just one step at a time and JUST DO T!!

2 comments: