Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Grown Up

Seen on a bumper sticker this morning: "Being grown up is overrated!"
Boy, isn't that the truth!! I used to constantly tell my teenagers that being a grown up wasn't what they hoped it would be. That's when they would roll their eyes at me and give me the look that silently said, "God, she is so dumb!!"
Now that they are both entrenched in this lovely journey called adulthood, they see what I meant. When we're young, we long for a time when there won't be people telling us what to do. We think that is when we're 18, when we're out of school, when we're on our own and in our own place. HA! Guess what?? There is always someone telling us what to do ~ a boss, a spouse, a well meaning friend, laws and rules. It never stops.
Being grown up means having to make the tough decisions ~ pay the electric bill or buy a new outfit; which preschool will be best for my kids; what should we have for dinner tonight; which kid needs my attention now; what is that strange noise the car is making...and on and on and on! The very thing we longed for as youth, our membership into adulthood, has arrived and is like a heavy anvil on our shoulders sometimes. It weighs us down. It makes us weary. We would like to turn in our membership card and not renew it for next year! No such luck, I'm afraid. You're in for life. We may as well try and make the best of it. I am striving for a life lived rather than just endured.

2 comments: