Thursday, June 3, 2010

Wedded Bliss

Reading the paper this morning, I came across an anniversary announcement that said, "50 years of wedded bliss". Seriously, who talks like that and is there such a thing as "wedded bliss"??
Now, don't get me wrong, I think I have a pretty good marriage of almost 35 years, but bliss?? Marriage is hard work and the work is ongoing. Some weeks (years), it is easier than others, but for two, very different people to co-habitate, it takes compromise, disagreeing, and biting your tongue. I love my husband, but I'd like to leave him on the curb some Wednesdays for the trash man (and him me, no doubt!). One of my theories of marriage is that the very thing that attracted you (he made you laugh) is the very thing that repels you later (be serious, will you!!).
Many choose to give up this work called marriage and try another person on for fit. I say there is a flaw in that idea. People are people with basic needs and shortcomings. Eventually, who we are, warts and tics and all, will rear their head even with someone new. Deciding to figure out how to live with the person that made your heart beat faster long ago is easier than trading him for a new model. Besides, isn't bliss some ice cream made by Dove bars?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment