Thursday, June 24, 2010

Expectations

Is life complicated or are WE complicated? It seems that there are many daily challenges for everyone. They come in many forms: families, friends, jobs and more. We are not supposed to have expectations of others. My husbands says I am often guilty of expecting too much from those around me. I retort that I only expect what I am willing to give. Unfortunately, my level of giving and theirs may be quite different. Hence, disappointing expectations abound. Again, my fault.
How do you have a long term relationship with someone and NOT have expectations? What spouse doesn't have expectations of the other? (honesty, faithfulness, support )Who doesn't have expectations for their children? (happy, hard working, productive citizens) Who doesn't have expectations for a friend? (compassion, truthfulness, availability) These all seem so basic and not too much to ask (or expect), so why do we often feel people fall short of our expectations? How often do we fall short of other's expectations? How do we stop expecting and just take what others give?
Today I have lots of questions and no answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment