Saturday, June 26, 2010

What do You Think About?

I am often asked, what do you think about when you run? Now that I am running 6, 8, 10 miles, I am out there a good long time. Sometimes I strap on the iPod and listen to music, but mostly I just run and think and run and think. If it's an early morning run, I mentally lay out my day ~ errands, clients, phone calls, etc. It is a good way for me to review what needs to be done.
I also talk to myself with silly motivational things. "I get to run this morning." "I am awesome." "I can do this." I have always said that for some reason, we humans let the negative tapes run louder and longer than the positive ones. I am guilty of this myself during the day, but when I run, I try and only say positive things to myself. Believe it or not, it actually helps get me through it. I am not a trained runner or an athlete of any kind. I have to rely on my sheer will to go another mile when I really don't want to run any more. I try and remind myself how I feel, both mentally and physically, afterwards. It works! Now, if I could only apply this philosophy to the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment