Monday, May 31, 2010

Witness

Children can be the greatest joy and the deepest frustration that anyone can know. So, why do we continues to have them? On a good day, that is easy to answer. They throw their little arms around you and tell you they love you. What's not to enjoy? The next day, this same little person will throw a three alarm temper tantrum right in the middle of aisle 7 in Albertson's. We would gladly trade them for a bag of apples!
I think people continue to have children because without a witness, we just disappear. Long after I am gone, my children, and, hopefully my grandchildren, will be able to recall stories and events that marked my life here on earth. I have spent a lot of time with my grand kids, more than most. Some people may think I'm crazy to be so involved. I just think I am lucky. Lucky that they are right around the corner, lucky that we all have dinner together most nights, lucky that they want to come to my house and see me, lucky that they demand my full attention to tell their stories, lucky that we have built up so many memories together that they will be my witness. There is a reason that we say someone is "gone but not forgotten". We never disappear as long as someone remember us.

1 comment: