Sunday, May 23, 2010

Mom Talk

This cartoon was in today's paper and I laughed when I read it. I guess even in the animal kingdom, mom's say the same things! I am now watching & listening to the next generation say the same things to their children that we mothers, have said for ages. It made me stop and think of all the saying we mothers have in our arsenal of words and how, for the most part, they are still as ineffective today as they were when my kids were tiny. However, that doesn't mean we will stop using them!
"Don't hit your brother (sister)."
"I'm talking to you."
"Just a minute, please, can't you see I'm talking?"
"I said, don't interrupt."
"What are you doing out of bed?"
"Do you realize that could kill someone?"
"Hurry up."
"Did you go to the bathroom?"
"Why didn't you go before we left?"
"Can you hold it?"
"What's going on back there?"
"Stop it."
"I said, stop it!"
"Stop it, or I'm taking you home right now."
"That's it. We're going home."
"Give me a kiss."
"I need a hug."
"More, what?"
"More please. that's better."
"Go to your room"
"No, time out is not up."
"Stop yelling. If you want to ask me something, come here."
"STOP YELLING. IF YOU WANT TO ASK ME SOMETHING, COME HERE."
"I'll think about it."
"Not now."
"Ask you dad."
"We'll see."
"I'm sorry that's the rule."

And, in deference to this new generation:
"Stop looking at your cell phone and look at me."
"Stop texting your friend."
"Turn off that computer and go to bed."
"No, you can't play games on my iPhone."
"That better not be anything bad you're watching on You Tube!"

It's a thankless, exhausting, gratifying, glorious job we'll never not get paid for! Lucky us!!!

1 comment: