Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Tree

"Never worry about the size of the tree. To a child, they are all 30' tall!"

Each year, putting the ornaments on the tree is like having a visit with old friends. As I place each one, it helps me recall where it came from, who gave it to me, a trip we took, etc. Each holds its own story. Some of the ornaments are really past their prime (aren't many of us, as well??), but I cannot part with them. The ones made by my children when they were small still command special locations on the tree--front and center.
I see decorated trees in magazines that are all color coordinated perfectly with matching ornaments and the perfectionist in me really admires them. I just can't bring myself to create a tree with that look. Our tree is a mish mash of fancy and homemade and, in that, reflects the personality of our family--far from perfect, somewhat lopsided, colorful and original.
What's your favorite ornament on your tree?

1 comment:

  1. The ones the kids make are the BEST!

    Mama Amber

    ReplyDelete