Saturday, December 12, 2009

Kettle Corn


As much as I like to bake, I really am not much of a sweets fan. I am more savory; red wine, smelly olives, salty snacks. I have always enjoyed the combination of sweet and salty you get from kettle corn and I decided to find out how it is made and if I could duplicate it in my own kitchen.
What I discovered is that it is amazingly easy!! It only has 3 ingredients. After a few test runs, I packaged it with my own special flair (thanks to adorable Madeline). Here's the recipe for you to try. You'll have to find your own adorable grand daughter for the label!!!
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white sugar ( if you use brown sugar, it will taste like caramel corn)
1/2 cup unpopped popcorn kernels
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, stir in the sugar & popcorn. Cover, and shake the pot constantly to keep the sugar from burning. Once the popping has slowed to once every 2 or 3 seconds, remove the pot from the heat and continue to shake for a few seconds. Pour into a large bowl. cool completely, stirring occasionally to break up large clumps.
Find a super cute kid, dress him or her in a chef's hat & other props. Take photo & make copies to put on the bags of kettle corn. Give to people you like, love or want to gloat to about your cute kid!!!

1 comment: