Sunday, December 6, 2009

Cookies

"A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand!"

Every year I set aside a weekend to do my Christmas baking. It is a lot of work, but also so much fun. I did not pass on the baking gene to my daughter, but I think I have succeeded in passing it on to granddaughter, Madeline. She loves to help me in the kitchen, especially if it involves licking a spoon or bowl at the end!
I try and do both tried and true cookies that I have been making for 30 years as well as adding a couple of new recipes as well. The list year consists of: spritz cookies, candy cookies, lemon dimples (new & awesome!), rod pretzels dipped in chocolate & sprinkles, cranberry & white chocolate cookies, brownies made with coconut, and the family all time favorite - wreath cookies. When the kids were growing up, I could not make enough of these. All they are are sugar cookies cut out with a donut cutter, frosted green with tiny cinnamon candies. My least favorite cookies are ones that have to be cut out as they are so much time and work. Of course, they would be the family favorite!
This year, I was going to buy Peppermint Bark from William Sonoma but had second thoughts when I read that it was $26!!! Surely, I could figure out how to make it myself. I love Google!!! You can find just about anything there and I did find an easy (4 ingredients!!) recipe for peppermint bark. Everyone who tried my first batch raved about it so it will now be part of my annual baking.
If you ask people about holiday traditions, baking is often a big part of it. They recall fondly a recipe their mother or grandmother made year after year, and some things she ONLY made at Christmas which made them even more special. When I am long gone, I hope part of my children's and grandchildren's memories include those darn wreath cookies and how they were made with love for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment