Monday, September 23, 2013

Ragnar

My daughter, she who abhorred exercise her entire life, has become a health nut complete with good eating habits, working out and running regularly. To say I am proud of her is an understatement.
Well, like the person who quits smoking or the drinker who hops on "the wagon", she has decided to plunge into fitness with both feet (no pun intended!) She found this crazy race called Ragnar. It is named after a legendary Norse ruler and hero. The photo above describes the race in a nutshell. Twelve people start out in two different vans, planning on being in those vans and in this race for almost 200 miles and 36 hours!!! Each person is given a "leg" of the relay race. These legs can be from 3 to over 8 miles. Obviously, your strongest runners are given the longer, harder legs. Each runner must complete three legs, in the same exact order. Now, any of you who have run before must realize, that is the tough part. I have never run three times in 36 hours EVER! I know I can complete a half marathon (my 12th is next month!), but, again, running three times in a day and a half is a bit daunting. In between, we will be in a van with the other runners and the driver (Search & Rescue Marko, for our van!). Sleeping, eating, changing, etc will all be under less than ideal conditions.
 Last year, over 700 teams entered the Southern CA race. 700 teams times 12 people means over 8,400 people WANTED to have experience this!! These races are run in cities all over the United States and many people run them year after year. Why would we, or anyone for that matter, do this??? Reasons may vary, but I think it is the challenge and testing yourself in ways you never dreamed. I think it is creating memories and stories that can only come from being with twelve people for 36 hours. I think it is doing something out of the ordinary. I think it is being disciplined enough and dedicated enough to want to give your best to the other eleven people on your team. I think it is being able to look back and say, "Hey, I did that!!"
I am the oldest person on our team. Some people I know well and some I have not met yet. I am related to a couple by blood. I think I will feel related to the rest by the time it is over. My son heard about this adventure and decided to enter a team of his own.
I say, the more the merrier...or is it, misery loves company?!?!?!
Biggsuzi

No comments:

Post a Comment