Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Grammar Nazi

OK, I admit it, I am a Grammar Nazi. It takes every ounce of my energy not to correct people's English! When my kids were growing up, we were driving in the car once and my son said to a friend, "You'll have to excuse my mom. She corrects everyone's grammar." And I did!! The result is, my kids have excellent grammar. They speak well (not "good"). It does matter! I have met many high level executives who spoke so poorly (not poor, it's an adverb!!) that it takes away from what they are trying to say.
What has happened to our schools that they cannot teach proper English? I get crazy seeing people use the apostrophe incorrectly. Often they mean plural, not possessive. "Wacky Mom's"....Wacky Mom's WHAT?!?! You meant to say, Wacky Moms (plural)! Some things cannot be corrected by a computer. You actually have to know what you are trying to say to get it right.
Another pet peeve ~ "Where's it at???" "Where is it?" is the correct way to say it. Don't leave that preposition hanging at the end!!!
Small things with big impact! We cannot change the world by changing the adults. We change the world by changing our children. Don't forget to correct their (not there or they're) English. I promise it won't ruin their fragile self esteem. It just might make them better people!
Soapbox now put away...thanks for listening to the tirade!!


No comments:

Post a Comment