Thursday, September 12, 2013

A Beautiful Mess

One of my favorite lines is from the movie, "Parenthood" with Steve Martin & Mary Steenburgen. The husband & wife are having a fight about their lives and she yells, "Yes, life is messy and I wouldn't have it any other way!" Truth is, it is messy. Roofs leak, people get sick, payments are due, kids forget homework, the laundry piles up, and on and on and on.
The trick is remembering the second part of the message ~ and it is also "oh so beautiful". At times, for me, seeing the beautiful in the mess is nearly impossible. I see the dishes in the sink, not the delicious meal we ate on them. I see when people have hurt and disappointed me and forget to notice when they delight me.
I need to remember this beautiful mess of my life and be grateful for it! Work in  progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment