Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve

"Even as an adult I find it difficult to sleep on Christmas Eve. Yuletide excitement is a potent caffeine, no matter your age." Carrie Latet
The modern world has even invaded our Christmas rituals. A note to Santa, accompanied by the cookies for him and the carrot for his reindeer, now includes a photo request, not for proof of his existence, but to share on Facebook. We live in a world where communication happens in so many ways, on so many levels. We text, we email, we tweet, we post - connected and yet removed. I call it "layered communication". We seem to communicate more and talk less. I am old enough to remember when calling distant relatives on Christmas Day was a BIG DEAL!!! It cost lots of money, was not always easy to get through & often the line was hard to hear. Today, we post what's for dinner, along with a photo. With unlimited texts, we often send, "What's up?" and receive a reply, "Nothing. C u later?" "K"
Don't get me wrong, I love much of this modern world. I won't be one of those people who refuses to learn new technology. I am not good at it, but I continue to learn. I am sure my grand kids will be my best teachers.
It's just hard to feel a hug through a text or email. Human contact remains the greatest gift of all.
Happy Christmas Eve.

No comments:

Post a Comment