Friday, December 7, 2012

Buttered Popcorn Cookies

Baking is a big part of my Christmas ritual. I tend to make the same five or six kinds that I know my family looks forward to, but I also read every magazine I can get my hands on, to search out one or two new recipes.
This year, I was facinated by the thought of popcorn cookies. Although I teach chocolate classes and love to bake, I am not much of a sweets eater. I think that is why the popcorn cookie appealed to me. Mixing salty and sweet is such a wonderful combination, I had to try them.
Here's a photo & the recipe so you can try them for yourself. I give them a thumbs up!
Ingredients:
7 cups plain popped popcorn (not microwave!)
1 tbsp. melted plus 1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Steps:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Toss popcorn with melted butter & salt in mixing bowl.
3. In a very large mixing bowl, cream softened butter, brown sugar, sugar, egg & vanilla until smooth.
4. In another bowl, whisk together flour & baking soda. I never do this!! Lazy!!
5. Add dry ingredients to wet & stir until blended. Then fold in popcorn until fully incorporated. Some kernels will not remain whole.
6. Forn heaping tablespoon-size mounds of batter on parchment lined baking sheet.
7. Bake until light brown, 10 - 12 minutes. **NOTE: I think this is TOO LONG!! I went with 8-9 minutes and liked how they came out.
ENJOY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment