Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Wishes

A few years ago, I tied a wishbone to every gift with a note that said, "We WISH you a Merry Christmas!". My poor family had to eat whole chickens a LOT that year to collect enough wishbones! It was kind of fun, though. It seemed that most every week there was one drying on my window sill in the kitchen. I still have a hard time just throwing them away with the rest of the carcass.
It got me thinking about wishes and how they change when you get older. Try as we might to be otherwise, adulthood and life have a way of beating the wishes right out of you. Day to day tasks and demands can push your wishes even further from your mind. Who has time to wish for something when there is so much to do?! Wishes become silly in a life that seems, so often, serious. Disappointment squelches our wishes even more. No wonder wishes take a backseat to reality.
Well, I, for one, am going to start making wishes on a regular basis. I promise myself to make at least one wish a day ~ big or small, silly or sincere. The power is in believing that wishes do come true and as long as we keep believing, anything is possible.
Just wishin'....and I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment