Thursday, November 10, 2011

Heartache

I have run the last two years in the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco. This year's race was especially hard for me. The hills were not kind to this old body. At the end of the race, each finisher is presented with a beautiful, blue Tiffany box. Inside is a necklace that is made especially for the race. They are medals of honor among runners. Most women put all of the charms from each race on one chain and wear them together. When I got home last month, I proudly did the same thing. I have worn it nonstop since I received it. Sadly, I looked down today and saw the chain only on my shirt ~ the two charms were gone. I burst into tears and was inconsolable. These were earned necklaces, not bought. I had done a million errands today, as always. Retracing my steps seemed fruitless. I called Target and asked if anyone had turned in silver charms. I was crying so hard on the phone, the poor man who answered was upset he couldn't help me. He said to call back tomorrow as they find a lot of things when the store closes. I went to Michaels and asked the same thing. Again, crying in front of the sales clerk, I explained it had no value to anyone but me. She, too, was sorry she couldn't help. I went into Starbucks and, again, asked about the charms. My crying was so intense, not only were the clerks trying to look but a couple of customers did also. Lo and behold, there was the charm from last year on the ground under the counter. We searched and searched for the other one, but it was not there. I know I should be happy to have found one of the two, but I am still so sad. I cried myself all over Tustin today. My heart is still broken for what is lost.
Oh, I can BUY one on Ebay for $150 to $200!!! How can I justify spending that kind of money on something that only matters to me? So, so sad...

No comments:

Post a Comment