Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Modern Conveniences

Last night, while the outside temperature read 85 degrees at 7:30pm and both air conditioning units were working overtime, the power went out. In a split second, everything went dark and stopped ~ no lights, no TV, no internet, no a/c. I am sure it was my imagination (and menopause), but the house instantly became hot and unbearable! The air felt thick and oppressive. As I scurried around lighting candles to give off at least a little light in some rooms, it made me think about all the modern conveniences we take for granted. Most of us don't even realize how much we depend upon these things until they are not there. I walked into a couple of rooms and automatically flipped the light switch on even though I knew the power was out. Silly, but just a habit.
So, what could you or would you be willing to give up? What is something you can't live without among all these modern conveniences? I am not a big TV person, but reading by candlelight is a bit challenging so I guess I want electricity. Besides, have you seen my hair when I don't blow it dry?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment