Sunday, April 4, 2010

What Would You Give Up?

If someone said to me that I could never have dessert again, I would say, "Oh, OK, but can I have another piece of bread?" It made me think about what we would be willing to give up. I like to have it all, but the reality of it is, some times you just can't because of money, time or circumstances. So, what matters more and what are you willing to give up? I would rather give up a pedicure to get my hair color done. I've done both my own pedicures and my own hair color at different times of my life and it turned out okay. I know my hair turns out better from a professional and I rationalize that I can wear closed-toed shoes. I would give up buying something for myself in order to be able to buy something for the grand kids. Yes, we both have so much and there is very little we actually need, but seeing the joy on their faces is a gift in and of itself. I would give up the same old, steady, boring thing (job) for the unknown and a new adventure. It is hard to give up automatic deposit every Friday, but when I realize I have given up a part of my joy and creativity as part of the price, I would rather go and see what is around the next corner, even if it is an unknown. What if it's better? What if it's more exciting? What if I never gave it a try? What would I have missed?
Whether it's as small as dessert or as big as a new career, we all need, at some point in our lives, to ask ourselves what we are willing to give up. What we hold on to says a lot about who we are. What would you give up?

No comments:

Post a Comment