Saturday, April 24, 2010

My Week

This past week was a hectic one. Amber hit the three week mark with her broken foot with five more weeks to go. She is sick of the positive spin I try and put on this ugly situation..."almost to the halfway point", "it looks less bruised", "the doctor said the x-ray shows progress". I must admit, I am running out of "positive spins" because it is a difficult situation for all of us. She can't be left alone with the kids because she can't chase after them. This is clearly a requirement when you have a 5, 3, & 2 year old. It is in the Mother Handbook! We are all pitching in, but nobody does it like mommy. I NEED TO RUN!
Last week, we took all three kids to the doctor. The girls had double ear infections and Jack a wheezy cough. Jack's recheck was yesterday and, while he was better, we told the doctor he refused to take the meds. No amount of threats or promises of treats convinced him to swallow the darn pink stuff! The doctor looked at him and said if he wouldn't swallow the meds, she'd have to give him a shot. He looked her straight in the eye and said, "OK, I'll take the shot." What 3 year old picks the shot?!?! Turns out, it is a med that stings and has to be given in the leg, not the arm. I had to hold him down on the table and talk to him while the nurse SLOWLY put this needle into him. It was the longest minute of my life. The nurse even admitted it hurts and stings. Jack cried, but not too much, while I held him. I NEED TO RUN!
On a more positive note, my friend and I were randomly picked to run the Nike Women's Half Marathon in San Francisco on 10/17/10. So many people want to enter this race, they choose by lottery. I have never run farther that 7 miles. A half marathon is 13.1 miles. I felt a weird fluttering in my stomach when the email came over letting us know "Congratulations! You are in!" I couldn't tell if the fluttering was excitement or complete fear. Maybe both! I have six months to train and prepare. I NEED TO RUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment