Thursday, April 8, 2010

I Get To...

Just finished reading an article in the latest "Runner's World" magazine and I had to share this. A woman wrote an article about running one morning and starting up a hill. Her inside voice said, "I have to get up this hill." She made it with a struggle and later shared the experience with another runner. This other woman told her she no longer says, "I have to...." anything. She has changed the thought to, "I GET to...". She now says she GETS to run. Many people cannot run and would love the chance. She GETS to pick her kids up from school. Just think of the person who sits in intensive care with her child. She GETS to run her errands. Others would love to have a car and the means to get around town and complete their tasks. She GETS to make her house payment. Families are living on the streets in this world with little hope for their future. She GETS to go to work. Countless people are unemployed today.
Thoughts become actions. If we see our day and it's chores as a burden, that's what it becomes. If we see the same day and the same chores and remind ourselves we GET to do these things, we might just see the sun is shining, the birds are singing, and we GET to find joy in all of it.
What do you GET to do today?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Susan. How easily we forget this.
    I get to spend time with my kids today and take them to the beach with friends. No matter what comes our way, I will enjoy and treasure the time together.
    Have a great day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete