Monday, April 26, 2010

Keep VS Toss

I was searching for a pair of pants over the weekend and came across a pair I didn't even know I had! It made me painfully aware that it was time to clean out the closet. Usually when I take on this task, it is with my daughter planted on the bed offering cold-hearted comments about each thing I show her. She is not a saver and I am. She has been known to exclaim, "Good God, mother! What were you thinking when you bought that thing!?!?!" It usually results in a few good laughs, along with the tough critique. In the end, there are several bags of clothes to give to chairty.
It made me think about what we hang on to in our lives that really no longer fits. I don't mean clothes, I mean thoughts and attitudes. What once seemed so important that we'd stand our ground even if it meant stoney silence to our husband or a lost friendship, somehow seems not worth the fight. As we age, do we give up or do we actually become wise enough to pick only truly important battles? Is any battle so important that it leaves us standing alone and angry? Is making a point more important than being happy? Being right is not always as satisfying as we had imagined it to be. Holding a conviction seems less important than holding a hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment