Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Obituaries

I know I am getting older, because I read the obituaries every morning over my coffee. First, I check the age. If they are over 75, I can justify their name being there. My daughter and I call over 75 "bonus time". Seventy five sounds like a good, long life; anything less and I worry. Next, I check names to see if any are familiar to me. God, forbid I find the name of someone my own age or, worse yet, someone I know. As time goes by, it is happening more and more. It always startles me. A name in an alphabetical list that says so little, but is, oh so final.
So, what's the lesson? That old adage about living each day as if it were my last? Well, let me tell you, if it were my last, I'd be doing a whole lot of things differently.
I'd take a vacation with my husband and family. The heck with work and school, it's our last. I'd throw the biggest party you've ever seen. I'd have it catered and give everyone gifts. We'd dance and sing and laugh. I'd eat anything I wanted and not count calories or fat grams because there would be no fear of turning into a fat, old lady; or old anything, for that matter. The list goes on and on.
There is only one problem. I may be blessed with tomorrow, and maybe another one after that as well. If I spend all my money on that vacation and that party, what will I do when the first of the month rolls around and the house payment is due? Whoops, sorry mortgage company, I was living each day like it was my last. The grandkids are now behind in school because they were on that vacation. We all lost our jobs because we up and took off. Whoops, sorry education and responsibility, I was living each day like it was my last.
So, the dilemma remains - today, the only day, or many todays?? Most of us hope for many todays. This calls for creating balance in our life every day. Yes we need to have our feet firmly planted in today, but also set our sights on the horizon ahead. We need to be awake and aware enough not to miss the small "golden moments" that happen to each of us all the time. Waiting for something or someone to make us happy in the future, is just that, waiting. Find the bright spot in today, no matter how hard you have to look for it sometimes. It is there. And remember, if we wait to be happy, we may wait forever. If we decide to be happy today, we will be happy forever.

1 comment: