Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Run vs I'm a Runner

Today was the Dinosaur Dash in Tustin. It marks the 7th 5K I've run since I started in March.
Back story: Never in my wildest imagination did I think I would start running. I have always hated sports of any kind. Give me a good book any day. Last winter, I made my annual visit to see my friend in Texas. She is, ahem, my OLDER friend and she is running 10ks, 1/2 marathons and full marathons. She inspired me. I came home and got the wild notion to start running and train for a 5K. Sean, my son-in-law (totally in shape gym rat!), said he'd do it with me. We ran 3 mornings a week and ran our first race in March. My goal them was to just finish. My time was 34:34. I felt awful during the race, but wonderful after the race. I definitely caught the bug.
I have run several more races and have improved my time considerably, but, being the crazy competitive person that I am, I wanted to break 30:00. My supportive, but blunt husband reminds me that I am not a world class runner and I don't have a runner's body (read boobs and curves!) He wants me to enjoy it for what it is, great exercise and not be so hard on myself.
When I am driving my car and see people running, I want to jump out and run with them! I now have a subscription to "Runner's World" which I look forward to almost as much as People Magazine! People ask me, "When did you become a runner?" I always say I am not a runner, I am someone who runs. Calling myself a runner seems too presumptuous.
Well, today I ran my heart out and I finished with, what runner's call, a new PR (personal record), 28:27. As my son-in-law would say, I crushed my time!! A friend finished the race before me and waited til she saw me heading for the finish line. She ran out and got in my face and told me to, push, push, push. I thought I couldn't, but I DID IT!!! I was almost sick ( read barf) afterwards. I started to cry. It took me much longer to recover than other races, but I did recover. I felt on top of the world. Today, I decided I AM A RUNNER!

2 comments:

  1. Yes you are!

    Mama Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed reading your blog, not only are you a talented writer, you can run too. I take inspiration from you as I take my daily walks, I say to myself, if Susan can run 5k I can walk a little further, thank you, now up to 30mins, and I can appreciate the painful last few steps Marion

    ReplyDelete